Saturday, May 12, 2007

Quilt Market 2007


Well, I just finished my first Quilt Market with my maryscottagequilts designs as a first time exhibitor and it was so amazing. Over 3,000 exhibitors and 5,000 quilt enthusiasts all in one place! The local paper called it Disneyland for quilters, but I would say it was better than that, it was a Hawaii vacation via Alaska, Europe and the spa all mixed into one.......

Getting there was a lot of work - from designing and sewing all the quilts to planning and setting up the booth and everything in between. I am very lucky to have an awesome man and friends who helped me a ton.

My booth was in a great spot - right near Moda - what more could you ask for. The first day of setup all we did was string up the curtains and table drapes which were all cream so my booth looked very drab...

The next day we brought in the quilts, tables and chairs, The green chair was my favorite. Next came the patterns, lamps and the rest of the stuff. Overall, I think it looked pretty good.

I can never picture how things are going to look until after they are done and then I say "cool" or "yuck", but I was pleasantly surprised with my booth.

I met a lot of awesome people. Brenda Riddle of Acorn Quilts was so nice! I had met her at Market in Houston last fall and we had talked about how I was going to try to get into Spring Market in SLC. I called her before market with about 15 questions and she was so kind and helpful to me -I appreciated it so much!

Anne Sutton from Bunny Hill visited the quilt shop I work at so I met her the day before market started - what a nice lady! I also met Pam of Pamkittymorning at sample spree - she just cracks me up! I'm the one who gave her my "Utah bag".

Me and My Sister were my "next door neighbors" and were so friendly too. I also had the pleasure of meeting Quilters Home Magazine editor, Mark Lipinski, what a bundle of energy he is!!!

Finally, I had the great opportunity to listen to the "Rockstar of Quilting" Kaffe Fassett! He gave a slide presentation on his quilts, his design philosophy and color theory.

All in all market was a lot of hard work but well worth all the sweat, stress and sewing. We will have to see what Houston brings - I will be there!
I would love to hear about your experiences at Market!

7 comments:

from little acorns said...

Mary,
It was so fun to see you again at Market, & I can't believe how pretty your booth was. . . with so many wonderful designs! I know that you will do so well!
This will be fun to keep up with you through your blog! Welcome!
- Bren

Happy Zombie said...

Welcome to Blogland Mary!!!!

I loved reading your first post and can't wait to read more! You will forever be known as the One Who Gave PKM the Utah Bag. Man... that's like giving a BMW or Mercedes!

PamKittyMorning said...

OH.MY.GOSH. You started a blog and didn't tell me? Wahoo you've got a blog. I love that Utah bag and actually was thinking of you today!

Sara said...

I'll be at Market for the first time in Fall. I am so excited. I am eatign up your post with glee. It is refreshing to get a perspective on Market from a first timer!

Cottage Magpie said...

Yay! I finally get to comment! Someday I am going to pay for being a non-Google person, but not today! I loved your pictures of market and can't wait to read more! ~A :-)

Md Raju said...

I just found your blog and want to say thank you ! It is really nice post thanks for sharing and just keep up the good work !


Stlouisrams |greenbaypackers | philadelphiaeagles | pittsburghsteelers | newyorkgiants | chicagobears | miamidolphins | baltimoreravens

Md Raju said...

I just found your blog and want to say thank you ! It is really nice post thanks for sharing and just keep up the good work !

ipad Video | Unlimited Movies | Special Effect | Forex | Stock Commissions