Tuesday, September 11, 2007

What I did on my summer vacation part two



We have always wanted to go to Alaska, so after much planning, we took an Alaskan cruise at the beginning of August. It was explained to us that in Alaska, May is like spring, June is like summer and August is like fall then the rest of the year, it is winter.
Can I just tell you how beautiful, refreshing, peaceful and totally awesome it was!
I think it is very different from the "normal" cruise where it is hot and sunny and you wear tank tops, flip flops and swim suits everywhere. On this cruise it was pants and sometimes even light jacket weather.
The views were so beautiful it almost took your breath away. I think I took about 250 photos (thank heavens for digital). The bottom photo is the Marjorie Glacier, it is in Glacier Bay and I know it looks small, but it is about 2 miles from side to side.
In Juneau we took a helicopter ride (I was scared, but I sucked it up) to the Mendenhall Glacier (the top photo) and walked around on it and even drank glacier water from a stream - it was SO cold.
I would highly recommend that you put this cruise on the "to do" list. We had a very fun and relaxing time. It was the Princess Cruise Lines
After we came home I threw my towels on the bathroom floor and nobody picked them up, or made my bed or anything (oh, that's my job...)- what a rude awakening!

5 comments:

from little acorns said...

Oh Mary. . . it looks so beautiful! I never knew that about the 3 seasons in 3 months. . . if that's the case - I would love to spend May - July in Alaska! Can you imagine?! - All the wonderful season changes in that short amount of time!!! (& I might stay for a little winter - but I don't think 9 months of it would be thrilling.) Thanks so much for the photos. . . I would love to do a quilting cruise to Alaska - definitely on my 'to-do' list.
xo, Bren

PamKittyMorning said...

That sounds wonderful. Wearing a light jacket, thrilling! And the scenery!

See you soon neighbor!

turkeycove said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
turkeycove said...

Hi Mary,
I found your website going through some old emails. We went on an Alaskan cruise too but we went at the end of June. You didn't see me on the kareoke bloopers did you? Alaska was amazing. I loved it. Take care Mare.
Kristin

alex said...

I'm surfing on u blog,look great,
well,thinks for you info
mate&travel,vacation