Thursday, October 16, 2008

10 years ago


10 years ago today my dear, sweet, Dad lost his battle with cancer. I miss him and think about him daily and especially as fall rolls around. I love the season, but this time of year always makes me a little sad.

I have a little heart necklace that I wear every day. It isn't big or flashy, and it wasn't expensive. I bought it at the hospital gift shop the day my dad passed away. It reminds me never to take good health for granted.

I wanted to share the obituary my mom wrote for him...

Dudley Osborn Stewart was born to Harold and Marguerite Stewart on August 16, 1923, the youngest of three children. He lived in only two houses his entire life - his family home that he grew up in and the one we shared with our family. However, the happiest place during his whole life has been the cottage at Conesus Lake.

In his youth, it was a place to play endlessly during the summer. Later, it was a place for remembering, for solace and to reflect on the goodness of life.

Dud liked hunting, spending time with his dogs, and was a real family man. He was very skillful with his hands. He could fix anything and build anything. It never occurred to him to buy a light table, a drafting table, an ice scraper, cupboards for the kitchen, porch swings and Adirondack chairs - the list is endless.

But most memorable of all was Dud's wonderful personality - his giving nature, his sweetness and kindness. His sense of FUN and his absolute integrity. His personality will echo through the family. We will remember him with joy and gladness, and rejoice for his presence in our lives.

Take a minute today and give your loved ones a BIG HUG and savor the day. And never take good health for granted.

Mary

The photo of us was taken in about 1963??

5 comments:

Simply This and That said...

What a terrific picture and wonderful obituary. ooxx`jodi

JillT. said...

I thought I'd check to see what you've been up to and instead saw the sweet commemoration of your Dad. I can't believe it's been 10 years. I have a soft spot in my heart for him. I can recall his laugh and how he always looked at your Mom with so much tenderness and adoration. Their loving relationship left an indelible impression on me. They were the model I looked to for my own marriage. I feel a swell of gratitude when I think of both he and your Mom.
I love the picture! You're adorable!!

Anne Sutton said...

A wonderful tribute to your Dad. To be remembered in life is the highest honor.

See you at market!

Kim said...

Mary, your post made me cry. I just lost my dad to cancer last year and I miss him HORRIBLY. {{{hugs}}} to you.

Meggan and Jeff Hansen said...

Has is really been 10 years? I remember when that happened. I'm getting old :)