Monday, January 17, 2011

when a quilt pattern idea turns into a math problem

Mary has 16 brown 1/8th yards, 10 aqua fat quarters, and 12 light cream fat quarters.

I had a design in mind (in my head) but I can't make it work.. It looks yucky! So it's back to the drawing board for me and my fabric... I now feel like this is a story problem.


but...


I am excited to see what happens here... I'll keep you posted.

What do you do when this happens?? I would love any suggestions / comments - then I'll know I'm not alone in my sewing room with my "math / story problem"

Happy Quilting? :)

Mary

4 comments:

Kathie said...

yes this has happen to me too and I look for solutions what if.....I add another fabric/color?
what if.....I change the border design?
what if.....I change the alternate block what happens....
you get the idea,
this happens to all of us I am sure...
and yes sometimes its just plain not working and then it becomes what if I make this quilt instead????
good luck!
Kathie

Dorian said...

LOL, you are NOT alone Mary!! When it happens to me, I put it all down and walk away. Do something else for a day or two. Then come back to it. Add something else to it, change a few pieces, or just make something else entirely with it. Good luck!

Pamela said...

It happens all the time! Isn't that what designing is supposed to be like? ;-) Hopefully there hasn't been too much cutting before this happens.

Betty Lou said...

Hi Mary,the math problem seems to take all the fun out of quilting. You will come with a great idea, probably in your sleep.

Found your blog from Donna's Lavender Nest, and joined you as a follower. Hope you will take a look at my blog. I 'm new to this blogging world but having a lot of fun.